A selection of the historic buildings and landmarks to enjoy during your stay at Pier 39.

Railway Station

The station was opened on Dec 4th 1855. Built by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Company it had three platforms and a train shed. Its half timbered mock Tudor style with imposing clocktower earned the reputation as the most handsome railway building in Ireland. The Giant’s Causeway Tramway departed from the station square.

Portrush Railway Station
Portrush Railway Station Train, Portrush (2012-2) by Albert Bridge is licensed under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Town Hall

The Grade B1 listed building is a fine example of Victorian Municipal architecture. Built in 1870 at the heart of the town, it was designed by Lanyon and Lynn. This renowned architectural firm also designed the Antrim Coast Road, the Palm House Botanic Gardens Belfast, Queens University, Crumlin Road Gaol and Courthouse, Belfast Customs House, and the Linenhall Library Belfast. Founding partner Charles Lanyon was Belfast Lord Mayor and MP. The Town Hall was built in the Scottish Baronial style, complete with gables and “witches hat” turret. The building was restored between 2004 and 2006 and is a popular wedding venue and theatre.

Giant’s Causeway Tramway

Opened in 1883 as the first long electric tramway in the world. Its 9 mile (14km) route passed The Royal Portrush Golf Club, the White Rocks, Dunluce Castle, Portballintrae, Bushmills Distillery and on to the Causeway. Operated by the Giant’s Causeway Portrush and Bush Valley Railway and Tramway Company it carried hundreds of thousands of Victorian tourists. Powered by both hydroelectricity and steam it operated until it was dismantled in 1946. It gained a new lease of life in 2010 when a 2 mile section was reopened between Bushmills and the Causeway.

Northern Counties Hotel

The Belfast and Northern Counties railway purchased the well established Antrim Arms Hotel in 1870. It was renamed in 1883. Its 100 plus bedrooms had sea views front and catering for upmarket visitors to the causeway. John Lanyon, the Town Hall architect improved the hotel in 1884 and 1892. Further improvements took place in 1905. The hotel had a magnificent central staircase, huge ornate ballroom and rare indoor heated swimming pool. It was destroyed by arson in 1993. Rebuilt in 2005 it now house apartments and the Ramada Hotel

Categories: Seaside Stories